There is no great work of God that doesn’t begin with prayer. As a missional community leader I think it is of utmost importance that I am praying for the Lord to go before me and lead me into disciple making. If I want to see the Father use my MC, I must pray and pray often. Therefore, I wanted to share a prayer guide that has helped me and other leaders in our church pray effectively as we spend time in our neighborhoods.
I hope you will find this prayer guide helpful as I have.
When to use this guide: while you are walking your dog, jogging, riding your bike, taking a walk with your family, going to get the mail, taking out the trash, or working in the lawn. Join together with others in your MC for a prayer walk. Invite an emerging leader to join you for a run and pray together as you are running.
- Ask God to give you a sense of what He feels for the people in the neighborhood. Ask for eyes to see people the way he sees them. Ask for ears to hear the Spirit leading you while you are out.
- Ask God what would it look like if His Kingdom existed in this place like it does in heaven? What things would be different? Begin to pray that these things would start to change.
- Ask God to provide opportunities for conversation and interaction with people while you’re out. Stop and talk to anyone you see while you’re out. But not an awkward, “Hey, can I pray for you today?” More of a “Hey, how are you doing today?” kind of thing that shows people you care about them and that leads to fruitful conversation.
- Look for specific things you can pray for. Every place or neighborhood is different, so pray specific things that only someone seeing the things you are seeing could pray…(children out playing, new neighbors that love Jesus to move into empty houses, that person over there would come to know the Father, etc.)
- Ask God for insight on how you can serve and love the people here in ways they can understand. Listen and look. As he brings things to mind discuss them with your family and your missional community– then begin to do them!
- Pray that God would give you “people of peace” in the neighborhood. Ask for people who are open to you, friendly toward you, and open to Christ.
- Pray for grace in everything you do as a MC in the neighborhood. Ask the Spirit to breath life into every conversation you have, every event you plan, and every meal you share with the people around you.
Don’t just lead your people to mission. They will burn out and give up. Lead people to prayer. Lead people to the Father…His yoke is easy and his burden is light!
Grace & Peace,